Monday, May 24, 2010

Dogs and Wal-Mart

The kiddos love dogs.  I mean they really love dogs.  They squeal when they see dogs.  We are not ready to have a dog - my ears can't handle it. 

A couple of weeks ago, we were pushing the cart into Wal-Mart and passed this lady walking her dog.  Of course, pandemonium broke loose in our cart as both kiddos shrieked "DOGGIE mommy, LOOK!"  They were so exuberant in their exclamations that the lady finally turned to them and laughingly said,  "Look Fido, CHILDREN!" 

A few weeks later, we were headed out of Wal-Mart and Lane was walking beside the cart.  When we reached the exit, there was a person dressed in a bulldog suit (our local high school's mascot is a bulldog) fundraising for something, I didn't quite catch what.  Anyhow, I pointed him out to Lane, who immediately stopped, started backing up, and finally tried to climb up my leg.  Not the reaction I was expecting at all!  So I tried to calm him down and convince him it was just someone dressed in a suit.  The student in the suit was great; he started to take the headpiece off to reassure Lane.  The only problem was the timing.  Morgan turned around to see what was causing all the commotion just as the bulldog was losing his head and she started screaming at the top of her little lungs!  So now I've got a 35+ pound boy clinging to me on one side, a 28 pound little girl climbing out of the cart and attacking my other side, a completely full cart (that has somehow stalled in the middle of the entrance) ... and what am I doing?  Laughing so hard I have tears streaming down my cheeks. 

Somehow I reassured the apologetic students and got both the kids (who continued to cling to me) and the cart out to the van, only to find a dog in the truck parked next to us.  Apparently it's only human sized doggies my kiddos have a thing against.  They were back to their happy squealing.

Happy Monday from the house where there is never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment