When there are two young children in the house who are busy soaking up words and trying them out again, it becomes, ahem, apparent, ahem, which words are, well, overused. They seem to, um, have changed, like, since I was a teenager, you know. We can be thankful for that.
Lately my kiddos have been answering questions with, "well, axshuullyyy..." I've been scratching my head wondering where on earth they've come up with such a big word as 'actually' until I asked Ryan and his response was a laughing, "well ... actually ... who do you think?" Apparently I overuse that word. But it's also becoming apparent that I overuse another word.
Morgan had a penchant for chewing holes in her pacifiers ('wa-wa' in Morgan speak) and when she was down to one remaining pacifier, we told her that once she chewed a hole in it she was done. No more wa-wa's. So we were surprised at how long that wa-wa lasted. Then one night she asked me to clean her dirty wa-wa. But it wasn't dirty. It was filled with holes. Instead of a good cleaning, Daddy chopped off the offensive holes ... which pretty much took care of the pacifier. You can imagine Morgan's horror.
Now I'm sure you're wondering what on earth this has to do with my overuse of certain words. I'm getting there. Promise.
Morgan's horror lasted almost a week. As in, great sobbing theatrics at bedtime. Great sobbing theatrics several times during the night. Then she woke up one morning quite a few days later, climbed into my lap and announced (with a very hopeful expression), " 'pai-went-ly, momma, we need to go to the doctor to get a new wa-wa."
Ahh, but the story doesn't end there!
A week or so after that, I discovered a few of Logan's pacifiers with big gashes in them. Since Logan still has not grown any teeth, there was only one likely culprit. She didn't say anything when I put a couple replacements into the cart at Walmart but she was pleased to tell Daddy when he got home the night: "well, axshuullyyy Daddy, I got new wa-wa's at Walmart!"
That night we got front row seats in an encore performance of "Bye-Bye Wa-Wa".
I don't recommend it.
Like, we can TOOOOOTALLY relate to this story! Thanks for sharing - it was totally hilarious ;o)
ReplyDeleteshe is too much, actually! - kris
ReplyDeleteFun to be in the background of part of this one! Dorlene and I loved our stay at the Harris home! Jan
ReplyDelete