Tuesday, September 6, 2011

10 Years Later

Today marks the day, ten years ago, that my sweet boyfriend Ryan delivered me to my last treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  It was the culmination of 6 months of, well, how do you describe cancer treatment?  Maybe a picture would be best.

See, isn't he sweet?  And as Lane asked me, "who is that?"  I hardly recognize her myself.  You see, as sick as I was, I never really pictured myself as sick.  Baldness was annoying for sure, but it was convenient.  No need for shampoo, simply continue to use a bar of soap.  No need for a hair brush or hair spray or a mirror, for that matter.  At times it was even funny.  I had one little girl who would not believe that I was a girl too.  She was so incensed that she demanded I prove I was a girl.  Ummm....how exactly do you do that?  Especially when I was already wearing a skirt?

That sweet boy - ummm, the one on the right - made so many weekend trips up to my parents' house (16 hours round trip) during that six months that my folks told me they were going to adopt him if I didn't keep him myself.  Ryan never knew how chipper I'd be when he arrived, yet he still kept coming.  Yep, definitely a keeper. 

There's much about that time span that I don't really remember.  Like the time I was laying down in the back seat of my sister's truck when we ran into a family friend.  Apparently, when Patty walked up to the truck, I perked up, made it sound as if treatment was a breeze, please don't worry about me, life is grand, and then collapsed back on the seat as soon as she walked away, my energy depleted.  It left Ryan absolutely astounded.  Apparently, only Ryan and my family were allowed to worry.

I do remember how my family worried (this picture was taken the weekend after my diagnosis).  My younger brother moved home from college for the summer and took over 'water pitcher patrol'.  Ever since I had been hospitalized to rehydrate me, I had my own pitcher in the refrigerator that had to be emptied every day and no, not into the sink like I would have chosen.  That summer, my sisters and their families made the trip home more times then I'm sure they care to remember and, to ease up on Ryan's commute, we met at Laurie's place a few weekends too. 

As for my parents?  My mom's goal was to maintain my weight.  I still remember how good those fresh peach and blueberry milkshakes tasted.  And for the only time in my life, I could drink multiple milkshakes in a day and still worry about losing weight.  There you have it.  There are some positives to cancer treatment!  As for my dad, I will never forget him sitting with me for one of my chemo treatments, holding my hand as the nurse - gloved, gowned and protected from head to toe - ran an IV of some unpronounceable chemo drug through my port and directly into my heart, doing our best to find humor in the situation.   

My family was (and is) incredibly supportive.  I have much to be thankful for. 

When Ryan first found out I had cancer (only 2 months into dating), he called his mom and asked her what he should do.  "Don't leave her now!  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  Just don't leave her during treatment!"  Having battled cancer herself, she spoke from experience.  Three short years later, she lost that battle.  I miss her. 

The week I finished treatment was also the week of Ryan's family reunion.  So after getting the 'all clear,' we headed out to meet the family - not just his immediate family, the entire extended family.  To say I was nervous was an understatement.  Mom had to drag me out of bed the morning we left, "Now Bean, this is IMPORTANT!"  Which is why I was still in bed.  I mean, who wants to meet their boyfriend's family, the family I knew would likely become my future in-laws, with a military approved hairdo?  I worried for no reason.  I have wonderful in-laws.

Now here we are, 10 years, 1 sweet husband, and 3 healthy kiddos later.  Amazing.  Did I mention I have a lot to be thankful for?  I do.  I am.  Thankful, that is.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my word Bean! I am sitting here crying my eyes out as I take a trip down that memory lane! I will never forget that crazy day (and lots of others) that Patty talked to you, you had been passed out the whole day and don't remember the car accident, Ryan carrying you through the airport, finding the lunch you wanted but wouldn't eat....and then told Patty how wonderful life was! Ryan and I just looked at each other!! I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that it has all worked out and you have a dear husband who earned his stripes and 3 adorable kids!! I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie, we are SO glad you are fine and can enjoyed your beautiful family! Ryan is a prince. Ken still misses walking to Subways with him on fridays. We miss you guys. Greetings and Hugs to you all,
    Lorena, Ken, Kelly and Christian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any way you can share an e-mail address here as I would like to contact you privately. I heard all about you and how amazing you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can hardly believe it's been 10 years. Like Laurie, I have tears in my eyes too. There were so many ups and downs during that time, but as Dr. Bulger told us at the time - we would see it as a bump in the road. - you were going to be one of his lucky ones and you were in all aspects. Amazing you have 3 little ones when we weren't sure you would get to have any and what a delight they are to all of us. Ryan was a solid in when he ran up the steps to see you bald for the first time and not fazed by it only to give you a kiss = that was one of your darkest days before he got there. We love you all and someday you can read the only journal I've kept of that year. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom - I'd love to read that journal sometime. Happy Anniversary today!

    Laurie - Ryan still shakes his head about that day and we both got a chuckle again when you wrote about it.(:

    Lorena - Thanks! We miss you guys too. Been glad to see Ken updating your blog again and even a post from you!

    To Anonymous - jeannie3121@yahoo.com (not my usual one but I'll check it and then forward you our usual address) You're too sweet - I don't feel very amazing, just thankful for a faith that keeps me and a family that supports me! I look forward to finding out who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeannie, what an amazing thing to read! We love you and are so thankful for your health now - and for a family and sweet boyfriend that took care of you from start to finish! Jan Michael and I obviously weren't near when you were having your treatments, but I do very clearly remember your wedding and being rendered speechless at how beautiful you were :) xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Jeannie. I have appreciated your "spunkiness" and humor in your blog - but had no idea about your cancer 10 years ago. Those same qualities no doubt helped you immensely through treatment, along with your faith and support from your family & Ryan. I read this post with tears and also smiles at your humor. Thankful for your good health now and your special family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We gained another wonderful sister through it all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a touching post to read. Glad you are here today and part of our extended family! (I remember that reunion. You were so brave!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We loved you from the time we met you at that reunion and still do! Thank you for sharing this sweet story of love and courage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing and I'm so glad I got to know you when you lived here... wish I was better about communicating, but know you are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Ryan and your little family, Remember us from Boulder, CO? A family member sent us your blog address and I was surprized to see you all!!! Our daughter-in-law , married to our oldest, Brandon, just finished up treatment for Hodgin's!!! Just on Monday they heard those words ... YOU ARE IN REMISSION!!!! They have four little ones. So good to see and hear you are doing good .. 10 years behind you!!! Keep up the good health!! You can check out Joann's blog at "the pages of our Life" sending Hugs, Glenn and Jenae Krisher, Mesa, AZ

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your comments! I enjoyed looking at your posting here and seeing that someday my experience of having Hodgkins Lymphoma could be 10 years behind me. =) Thankfully life is just 1 day at a time. I am thankful for all of the help during my chemo and radiation days. Now we look forward to the days ahead! (Your kids are very cute!!)
    Joann Krisher

    ReplyDelete