This past weekend, we were treated to a date-weekend. The kids had a sleepover at Don and Darlene's on Friday night. They had a ball. When we arrived Saturday evening to pick them up, they informed us they were not ready to leave. Well, in that case...(just kidding!)
Ry and I went out to eat Friday night and then Saturday we headed for the hills. Ryan decided that he just couldn't go for a hike in the middle of hunting season without toting his rifle along and so our hike turned into a mini hunt. Now there is a difference between a hike and a hunt (even if it is a very half-hearted hunt). I did not realize this until we were a mile or so in on the trail. Every time I asked Ryan something or pointed something out, the reply came in an unintelligible mumble barely above the sound of a whisper. It took me a while, but finally I figured it out.
"Umm, honey? Am I talking too loudly?"
His very quiet reply? "Voices carry."
Yep. I was talking too loudly. And sniffling too loudly. And walking too loudly. Never mind laughing. Have you ever tried to laugh quietly? Yeah, me neither. Not that I was doing anything different than I would on a normal hike, but I was quickly learning that even a half-hearted hunt must be treated like a real hunt. I was feeling bad about scaring all the wildlife off but Ryan reassured me that he really wasn't expecting to see any animals. Of course, if he hadn't brought his gun, we would have seen all sorts of animals. The Murphy's law of hunting.
Another look with the reds of the huckleberry bushes in the foreground.
We found a sunny patch free of snow for lunch, enjoyed a little rest and a visit from the game warden. Yep, even half-hearted hunts count as far as game wardens are concerned! Ryan handed over the appropriate tags and the game warden mounted his horse and continued on his way.
It really was a lovely day and even though we did not see any animals, we enjoyed a quiet day together!







Your post made me laugh - fun to hear about your quiet hike :) The pictures are great!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jeannie for letting Ryan bring his rifle. It is just a man's instinct wanting to provide for the family. I'm glad he didn't get a deer on the top of the mountain and expect you to pack it down though. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures!
ReplyDeleteGrandpa Larry