Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Best Old Car Parade Ever

Sitting on the edge of the road, watching 700 (and no, I am not exaggerating) cars of all makes and styles, generally old (though some were brand new), brought to mind the classic children's books by Richard Scarry.  Remember?  Cars and Trucks and Things That Go, or Best Storybook Ever and the list goes on and on.  Remember searching for Goldbug?  No worries if you don't.  According to Ryan, I led a deprived childhood since I can't remember reading them.  I have since been educated and they are among Lane's favorites to peruse.  And this parade really did feel like a Richard Scarry storybook.
All parades must have a fire engine.  The older the better! 

Right after the fire engine came an old van who spit fire out it's exhaust pipes.  Our kiddos had been happily playing until confronted with the bang of the fire.  They both sprinted to their parents laps and Lane announced "All done, Daddy!"  Sorry kiddo, we still have 697 cars to go...
It took a while to calm them down - can you tell by Morgan's face?  Lane told us all about the van the next morning so apparently he wasn't permanently scarred.  The jury's still out on Morgan.

A few of the cars:


The Richard Scarry Ambulance.  Can you see the license plate?  It reads:  GONNER


And finally, a car fit for Goldbug.

6 comments:

  1. Oh it does look like Goldbug's car!! And yes, many a night is spent looking for goldbug at this house too. It was Jakes absolute favorite!! That parade looked like a lot if fun, a little like summer even!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I must be depriving my boys as well. We'll have to get over to the library and check out these books!

    Fun to catch up on your blog. What a beautiful family and such darling munchkins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie, you had me giggling. Colter brought home one of those books a while back and it was fun to look at. I don't remember pouring over them as a child but they are cute. So did you make it through all 700! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun parade...thanks for sharing pictures...and yes, we spent lots of time looking for the gold bug when Brad was little..so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved the parade pics! I missed these before somehow.

    ReplyDelete