Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sewing Projects

One of the very fun things about having a little girl is getting to sew clothes for her.  I remember my own mother sewing for my sisters and I when we were young.  The coordinating gunny sack skirts and vests are the outfits I remember best - as I was the youngest, I got to wear all three.  There are benefits to being the youngest girl!  Now I'm using the very same machine to make clothes for my own daughter.   

I've been curious about using elastic thread to shir fabric since I love the look of smocked jumpers/skirts.  I found a tutorial online (click here) that made it look fairly easy.  To my surprise, it was easy.  And fun!
Of course, she refused to stand still while I tried to take a picture so it's not easy to see the detail of the smocking or the lettuce edged straps.  Maybe you get the idea, anyway? 
A couple alterations to the original pattern and you have a new dress.  I think I'll stick to jumpers and skirts.  Those sleeves were exasperating.  Although maybe not quite as exasperating as posing for your mom.

Just for fun, I used some of the scraps and an old pair of her jeans and tried a tiered skirt.  Since I didn't have to bother with the waistband, it came together quickly.  That's my kind of project!

7 comments:

  1. You must have had a great home ec teacher to sew such good looking dresses for my granddaughter!!!!! I remember having fun sewing for you girls too and remember the time and effort in those gunnie sack outfits, but you all looked so cute as does Morgan. Enjoy using your talents. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as long as my old home ec teacher promises not to look look too closely!(: Thanks for teaching me, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie,
    I love the smocking...I'll have to look up that tutorial....so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That skirt turned out awesome!! Good job =)
    Auntie Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm speechless! Absolutely LOVE these Jeannie! I have material for summer skirts for my girls. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute! ...the dresses and the girl in them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute - both daughter and dresses! Especially like the middle picture - that dress is so pretty and her hair looks darling! :)

    ReplyDelete