Monday, January 21, 2013

The Lookout

When the sun comes out on a Saturday during the winter, any plans around the house get dropped.  No sense wasting a perfectly sunny day!  The kids were on board when they overheard us talking about snowmobiles and sleds.  In their minds, a perfect combination.  

You may remember a post or two about Roman Nose.  There it is, above and slightly to the right of Logan.  If you use your imagination, it kind of looks like the profile of a man.

We were treated to some fabulous views.

The Lookout Mountain trail had been freshly groomed and we were curious to see if see if we could get all the way up to the lookout at the very top.  The groomed trail stopped a bit short.  Not ones to give up too easily, we started trekking.

Some snowmobiles had gone before us and made a nice trail to follow.  It wasn't the sort of trail we'd want to pull the Burley up though so we decided to hoof it.  The lookout is behind those trees.

There go the boys.  I loved the clouds in that beautiful blue sky.  Morgan and I were a bit slower but I was impressed with the kids determination.  Lane made it up all on his own.  Morgan required a bit of help and encouragement but she kept at it too.  Logan was quite happy to sit on his Daddy's shoulders.

The Lookout!

Coming down, we found it was easiest to just slide on our bottoms.

There's that cool sky again!

Now for the main event:
Sledding!  It didn't take too long before the kids started asking for rides up on the snowmobile.  Lane's first trip down he went face first and got snow down his coat.  He was not impressed!  But once he figured out how to go down feet first, well, that was fun!  I climbed to the top after they'd taken several runs thinking maybe I should have a go.  I must admit, I - ahem - chickened out.  I'm afraid my kids are a bit more adventurous then I am!

Big grins!

Logan hung out at the bottom with me.  Next year, little buddy!

Here are a couple videos of the kids sledding.  Morgan had a knack for crashes that she'd get up from grinning ear to ear!  You'll have to forgive the videographer - she was a bit distracted at times and things aren't always in the center of the screen...



6 comments:

  1. WOW!! How much fun does that look like?!! Makes me jealous =) Beautiful pictures and I loved the one of the snowy lookout. Smiled while I watched the kids videos of them sledding. But it makes me miss you!! Love you all to pieces!! Auntie Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the pics - like Auntie Laurie - makes me jealous. Fun to watach the videos too. Lookout pic was awesome. We miss you too. Hopefully will see you sometime soon. Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such amazing, wonderful pictures, Jeannie!! I'm with Laurie & Aunt Barb - they make me itch to get out there in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing.... Thanks for sharing and hugs to each!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are very adventurous to hike like that with three kids in tow, but how beautiful it was and your kids will long remember the adventure! Thanks for sharing the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super fun post and beautiful pictures!! I was thinking the same thing as Linda -- what fabulous memories you are making with your kiddos! The rest of us enjoy getting a glimpse of your adventures together on your blog :) The videos are great!!

    ReplyDelete