Then comes the haircut.
Then wisps of hair left lying behind. Fingers full of hair at the slightest itch. Shower drains clogged with hair. And finally the shaving before it gets any worse.
Oh my.
Even though I spent little time on it (and have already gone through the cut/shave/regrow process 13 years ago), I'm still amazed at how much of my sense of self is wrapped up in hair. It will regrow. I know this. This thought is what keeps me smiling even when I see the shocked looks on the faces of acquaintances who haven't heard my diagnosis, or the kids' dentist, the lady at the check-out counter at the grocery store, and even Lane's sweet little classmates. I wonder if they think I've maybe gone off the deep end? Decided to go for a drastic new hair cut? Or maybe the hairstylist made a big mistake and had to take it all off? I guess I'll have to recommend they avoid letting their husbands get anywhere near their hair. Not worth the savings in avoiding a hairstylist...Ha!(:
Still, it is the kids that keep us laughing. The last time I was bald, I remember being in the women's dorms at a church convention. A little girl, maybe 7 or 8 years old, took one look at me and in a very horrified voice informed me that there were no boys allowed in the girls dorm.
"No," I assured the little girl, "I'm a girl."
"Then PROVE it!" she insisted.
I looked at my friend Janell for help only to see her doing her level best to avoid rolling on the floor in laughter.
"Ummm....I'm wearing a skirt?"
She was barely convinced.
This time around, I've been even more aware of kids and their honesty. They haven't learned to moderate their responses or try to be politically correct. They're curious and not afraid to admit it. While adults often avoid even commenting on my hats, kids have no qualms. As I was picking Lane up early for a dentist appointment, one of his classmates came up and gave me a hug, looked at me curiously and said, "I like your new hat Ms. Jeannie!"
My own kids have informed me I look like Daddy. Logan took it a step further this morning. While he was playing with his trucks I heard him muttering.
"We have 4 boys in my family."
"No, we have 3 boys and 2 girls," I replied.
"Nope. Only Morgan is a girl. You're a boy, just like Daddy!"
Thanks so much for the update, you had me splitting my sides with laughter :) Thinking of you guys and miss you.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Kyla
Leave it to Logan! :)
ReplyDeleteHugs!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the smile. :-)
Thoughts are with you often these days.
I have not updated my blog for forever let alone looked at other blogs. I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this again Jeannie. I'm sure your kiddos are pretty good medicine by the sounds of it! :) Sending you lots of love and hugs!! Elaine and family
ReplyDeleteThinking of you, Jeanne, after hearing about your cancer. And this post I can certainly relate too!
ReplyDeleteHugs to you during this time. That you have such strength and humor through out is a beautiful thing. We got to know you the first time you were bald. We loved and admired you then, and we do so, even more now!
ReplyDeleteLogan :) He comes up with the funniest things! :) I keep thinking of that video of him giggling you posted a while back and am glad you have his little giggles and funny sayings :) It seems our days have been speeding by and I haven't commented recently. Please know how often we think of you though! with care - Mo
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if the comment that I just sent got lost or if you are censoring them but I haven't been on your blog for a long long time and cannot believe how your kids have grown up. Sweet little Lane is now a big boy! But I am so sorry to hear of your horrible news, but just hope that you will defeat that old devil again. Hugs to all of you, Pat and Dave
ReplyDelete