Thursday, September 29, 2016

Hunting

I got to get away for a week to do some hunting with our good friends Brand and Char and my cousin Lyle.  It was a really great week even though we didn't get anything.  We managed to see a very nice bull elk as well as some cows and smaller bulls and more moose than I think we could count.
Speaking of Moose that is how the week started for me.  I was giving my cow elk call a good work out and finally got a response.  It sounded big...made some good deep grunts...and I was getting excited.  Then I had a bit of a let down when this cow moose came in to investigate.
Then there is the gourmet eating of camping and hiking.  Last year Brad was feeling a little out done when we were hunting together and stopped for lunch after putting in a long morning and lots of miles.  I pulled out my Jetboil stove and cooked some top ramen and even added a little chicken from packet if I remember right. A delicious hot meal right in the middle of nowhere.  Well....Brad pulled out a sandwich from the bottom of his pack that had gotten good and smashed and soggy.....and was feeling like the kid at school that has the worst lunch ever and nobody would trade anything for it.  Brad said at that moment after smelling my hot meal and looking at his soggy sandwich he just wanted to quit and go home.  So that leads into the picture above.  This is a year later....Brad is smiling......He has a jetboil....He has a freeze dried meal....He has a plate...He has a napkin...He has a table cloth!!!!....He has a candle!!!!  Ok that is a little over the top now don't you think.  He was not to be out done this year!  Lyle picked up a Jetboil and freeze dried meals on his way out as well and he is a total convert now too.  He even thought he would make a special holder in his tractor for it.....no more soggy sandwiches for Lyle in the tractor either!  Some of the reason for our poor hunting success might have been the laughter emanating from us scaring all the critters hither and yon.
Brad and I checking out a drainage.
Lyle and I stopping for a pose.  You might notice that it is hard to see Char in any of these pictures.  I think that her camouflage was so good that you just couldn't see her.
A sliver of Lake Couer D'Alene in the background with the setting sun.
Might as well add in a "selfie" as well.

It was a good week and fun to be out in the woods with good friends.  

1 comment:

  1. No animals were injured in this post... just a lot of laughs! Great post!

    ReplyDelete