Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Maiden Voyage and beyond...

A couple of months ago Ryan found the boat of his dreams (After dreaming and researching for years, moving within minutes of a boat launch finally removed any remaining hesitance. When this used boat popped up, he went for it.) and we've had it out on the water a few times now. These pictures were from the maiden voyage in mid-March when Grandpa Larry was here for a visit. The second trip was with Grandpa Ted and Uncle Geoff (while us women went shopping) - we forgot to download pictures off Grandpa's camera before they went home.


You can't see it in the picture, but Ryan had a grin the size of the Cheshire cat!

The beautiful Lake Pend O'Reille.

Cozy little spot for Morgan.


Grandpa Larry and Lane checking things out.


This mornings excursion was the first without experienced help (and no pictures either). Only a few minor mishaps ... We now know what a fishing net looks like on sonar and have learned NOT to navigate between buoys...especially with downriggers and fishing lines out - oops! We also know that some practice backing up a trailer would be very beneficial for the wife in this family - Ryan asked me whether I wanted to drive the boat on the trailer or back the trailer down and I told him to choose since I've never done either. Thankfully a local took pity on me after the billionth time trying to straighten out the trailer. He politely, and kindly, asked if I could use some help, then skillfully backed right on down, Ryan drove the boat right on and all went happily on their way. Oh, and we also learned that a 30% chance of rain can turn into a 100% chance of downpour pretty quickly!(: All told, we're still looking forward to trying again.

4 comments:

  1. Just saw your new blog on Elaine's and was so excited. This will be so fun to watch your little ones grow. Hope all is well with you 4,
    Love,
    Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Kansas. I was also happy to find your blog! I am impressed you were willing to try and back up. After 4 years I am still not ready to attempt backing up the cattle trailer. Good job on Lane's cake. Hope we get to see you this summer.
    Love, amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun to see both your names pop up Aunt Susie and Amy! We're sure looking forward to seeing you in July!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-hoo!!! Congrats on the boat. We want a ride one of these days.

    ReplyDelete