Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Regarding Motherhood

Motherhood is a strange thing.  I mean, how else would I know the difference between an excavator and a skid steer?  And it is only because I am a mother that I find myself driving down the road and excitedly pointing out the airplane in the sky ... only to realize that the kids are home with Daddy and I get to zip through the grocery store ON MY OWN!  And I certainly never would have found poop to be an interesting topic of conversation pre-kids.  But when it comes to a group of moms (especially moms of infants), it crops up a lot more often then, say, politics.  Then again, politics was never really one of my favorite topics pre-kids either.

Another thing I never realized before I had kids was how truly scatterbrained I can be sometimes.  It's especially bad when the kids pick up on it too.  Here's an example.  On Sunday morning, Ryan had pulled the van out of the shop and around to the front of the house where the rest of us piled in.  We were not far down the road on the way to meeting when Lane pipes up,

"Daddy?  Did you shut the shop door?"
"Yes."
"Daddy, are you sure?"
"Yes, Lane."
"Maybe we should turn around.  Just to be sure."
"I'm sure Lane."
"But Daddy, Mommy always turns around and drives home.  Just to be sure."

Ryan took one look at me and burst out laughing.  Something else about kids:  not one thing is kept secret.

But they can sure melt your heart.  This morning Morgan was hollering "MOMMYMOMMYMOMMY" while sitting right next to me at the breakfast table.  After I was done trying to mop up our spit-up machine (better known as Logan), I turned to her.

"What do you need, Morgan?"
And with a great big grin she replied, "You!"

7 comments:

  1. Oh Jeannie!!! This is the best post ever! LOL!!! This is SO true! Thanks for making my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jeannie! You are such a talented writer.... I love it! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sense of humor! I can relate to the scatterbrain part...and I don't even have 'little distractions'. I'm always double checking myself on whether I did something or not. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh funny! Nothing gets by our kids does it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me laugh! It must run in the family, one time our FRONT door did get left open ALL day so now I a am paranoid and constantly drive back down our street to check the door and garage door!! Makes Jake crazy! He and Lane can compare notes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate! [and I only have 2 kids to keep track of] Hope Lane has a happy birthday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious and easy to relate to! So glad you're writing about all this cause one day you won't remember half of these events but you'll have it in writing:)

    ReplyDelete