Thursday, December 1, 2011

By Request

This post is for Ken (and anyone else who might be interested) who recently requested photos of the books I made from my blog.  I apologize Ken, the photos aren't exceptional but they should give you an idea. 

I used Blurb.com as they 'slurp' the blog right into the book and then you can create new page layouts to your heart's content.  Of the options out there that I tried that automatically 'slurp' the blog (their term, not mine), this is the one I found to be most user friendly and allow you the most editorial control over page layouts.  Maybe someone out there has found another option for use with blogs?  Aunt Linda just did a great post on some different photo books she has created.  We have one of the books she made of our family reunion and it is lovely.
  
I have done a book for each year of my blog and it is definitely taking the place of scrapbooking.  It's much quicker and I like that it's easier to stay up to date.  I have chosen the Hardcover Image Wrap option and the standard paper (although I'd be curious to feel the higher quality paper).  I've been happy with the end product. 

A few pictures of different layouts:

You really can do anything, from full text to full page photos and every possible combination in between. 

I hope this helps Ken - Good luck creating yours!

14 comments:

  1. You don't know me from squat, but you are so sweet, creative and inspiring. I so wish we were related! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are great, and so efficient! I'm curious- do you often filter some posts out? For instance, would you include your post about photo books in your photo book? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous-
    You are too sweet yourself! I'd love to know who you are. (jeannie3121@yahoo.com) My husband comes from a huge family so who knows? Maybe we are related!(:

    Joellyn-
    I do filter some of the posts - as in this post - to keep it more of a family album. The nice thing about Blurb is that before you 'slurp', you choose which posts you would like to insert (you can go back later and add additional posts and even delete posts). Then all of your editing occurs offline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that seems like a neat way to keep up with scrap booking and having a yearly history photo book! Yours look beautiful! Glad you are enjoying the reunion book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These r just awesome! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info... I might have to try it! First I need to make a Disneyland book for my mom though. Which blog is your aunt's? Happy Holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post as I have wondered about "how to" and I've wanted to ask you but never do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just looked at Blurb.com and I think that someday I'll have to come visit you so you can how me how!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Della - Wouldn't that be fun?! You're welcome anytime!

    Emily - If you click on Linda's name in the post, it should send you to her site (Benjamin Ranch). Sorry, the link color doesn't stand out enough - I need to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such great information! I'm curious about one more thing -- does is "slurp" up the comments for each post as well? I think it would be fun to include with some posts, but just wondering if that's an option? Thanks for the post about these books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mo - I haven't figured out how to 'slurp' comments (if it even does). I decided to print them out separately and slide into the back of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great idea too - to print them and put them in the back of the book. Thank again for all your helpful information on this!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never knew there was such a thing! How neat and thanks for sharing. Yours look amazing!

    ReplyDelete