Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Lesson from Motherhood

Maybe you remember that old saying your mother used to teach, the 'never say never' saying?  There's one sure way to learn that lesson and it's through parenting.  There were things I was never going to do or say as a Mom and things that my children were never going to do either.  Well.  Then I had children.  And I have learned the 'never say never' lesson many times over!

Pre-children, I remember being slightly disgusted watching a mom bite pieces of food off and then feeding them to her child.  At dinner a while back, a comment was made (by a non-parent and with just a hint of dismay) about some cultures where mothers chew food up before feeding it to their children.  Without really thinking, I responded, "I wish I could say that I've never done that before!"  I'm quite sure I surprised our friend!

I was also never going to say, 'Just you wait!"  Oh how I'd cringe whenever I heard that saying from a mom with children older than mine.  For instance, when we were expecting Lane, we'd hear about sleepless nights, followed by the infamous, 'Just you wait!' and I'd respond with a superior air, "it can't be that bad, we'll survive!"  Well, half that response was accurate.  We survived!  But the worst part?!  Yes, you guessed it.  I find the very same saying slipping out of my mouth before I catch myself.  (Those of you who have heard it from me, please accept my humblest apologies...)

The thing about motherhood that has been most surprising to me is how easily these kiddos can embarrass me.  I remember my parents telling us in exasperation, 'please, lets not tell all our family secrets' in an ill-fated attempt to put a muzzle on us.  So I'm not sure why I'm so surprised.   Or why I thought my children would be any different. 

Last month, Logan had a nasty stomach virus that stuck around for about 10 days.  Lets just say we went through the Costco sized box of diapers much quicker than normal.  And all the diaper changes left an impression on Logan.  Not long after he finally got over the virus, we had an appointment at the Dentist.  After the dental hygienist called Lane and Morgan's names for their appointment, Logan rushed up to her and in a very loud voice announced, "I'm not POO-PY!" 

Sometimes I wish his words weren't quite so easy to understand.  But at least the occupants of the waiting room got a good laugh! 

Motherhood sure has given me a good lesson in humility (or maybe in keeping my mouth shut to begin with!).

No comments:

Post a Comment