Sunday, October 2, 2016

Jeannie's Birthday

We have had a lot of comments from people about the "firsts" after the loss of Jeannie.  They tend to be the hardest.  It hasn't taken long to hit many "firsts" it seems.  Our wedding anniversary was only a few weeks after Jeannie passed away and now we have her birthday and kids birthdays, first day of school, ect.  I guess with each passing one the finality of death is just brought into focus a little better.  We tend to focus so much on the things of this natural life but we can't take any of that with us.  The focus needs to be on the life to come.
The cemetery got the grave marker set on Jeannie's birthday.  We went out to eat to mark the occasion and then went to take a look at the grave site.  I really like how the marker turned out.  It is sobering to see ones own name on a gravestone.  The kids do very well going to visit the site.  This morning on our way to our Sunday morning meeting Logan said "I wish mommy could tell us what heaven is like"  Yes, that would be great wouldn't it!  We all need to make sure our steps take us there so we can find out for ourselves.
It is a very beautiful spot and they keep it well maintained.  You can see the lake from here and the moon is just peeking up over the horizon.  My grandma used to spend quite a bit of time at the cemetery where her husband was buried and would often bring us kids there when we were growing up.  I didn't have much appreciation for it at the time but now with a part of me buried here it is a memorial and a natural connection I can appreciate.

10 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. It made my heart hurt, but thankful that there can be beauty all around her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grave stone is beautiful...your kids are beautiful, and I'm thankful for your sharing. Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grave stone is beautiful...your kids are beautiful, and I'm thankful for your sharing. Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful for your courage and faithfulness. I'm thankful for Jeannie's faithful influence. We can feel thankful we have one that helps us through each experience in life. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking us on a visit to Jeannie's grave. I loved Logan's comment. It is good to ponder what Jeannie would tell us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So bittersweet Ryan. It's beautiful! Thank you so much for all that you've done and for continuing on so courageously. I think of you lots and send lots of love. Auntie kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will echo what Bethaney said above - your words are beautiful and our hearts ache at the same time. Joy and sorrow interwoven. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing. So nice to have a window into your experience and to be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Russell, Tami and RileyOctober 14, 2016 at 4:14 PM

    Grave stone is beautiful! Love what Logan said and so glad we have something more to look forward to! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Ryan, Thank you for sharing. Beautiful marker and setting. IT is so true about Grandma and visiting Grandpa's grave. You have a piece of you there now, just like she did. Think about you all a lot and pray often for you. Lots of love from us. Elaine

    ReplyDelete